Swimming season to get underway!
Published on 28 September 2020
The swimming season is set to kick-off at the Gilgandra Swimming Pool this Saturday, 3 October 2020!
Gilgandra Shire Council’s Director Community Services, Jo Manion says Council have been working hard to have the pool ready for opening this October long weekend, which has also included making sure the pool is COVID-19 compliant and safe for users and pool staff.
“We are looking forward to opening the pool to the public as we know it is used and enjoyed by many groups and individuals in Gilgandra. This season will be a little different however due to the COVID-19 pandemic, meaning changes for all users, including school and sporting groups” said Ms Manion.
“We have been in touch with local schools and other user groups such as the Swimming Club as the swimming season approaches, and we are working together to try and accommodate user needs within the new COVID requirements”.
“It’s important user groups and the public are aware of the new requirements. Some new elements such as not being able to use the change rooms may cause a level of inconvenience, however they are an important part of the COVID safe plan and must be put in place to allow the pool to open for the enjoyment of the whole community.” Ms Manion.
Other key requirements under the COVID Safe Plan include:
- Group bookings are limited to 20 people.
- Maximum capacity of pool area – 117
- Main pool capacity – 99
- Wading pool capacity – 18
- Change rooms and showering facilities are closed, pool users should arrive in their swimming costumes.
- Bathrooms are open, however restrictions apply.
- Pool will be closed to the public while it is being used by school groups and swimming club.
- Groups of no more than 20 people permitted (such as for activities and birthday parties).
- Families and social groups arriving together must stay and swim together.
- Pool equipment is not available for general use.
- Pool users are to remain on the highway side of pool while booked activities are conducted.
The pool opening hours, fees and COVID requirements are all available on Council’s website https://www.gilgandra.nsw.gov.au/Enjoy/Fitness-Leisure/Gilgandra-Swimming-Pool
“Operating the pool in this current climate does present some challenges for some of the usual activities, however Council is committed to working with different user groups to ensure the pool season is safe, healthy and fun”, said Ms Manion.
During the season, Council will be keeping up to date with COVID Safe requirements and continue to implement any necessary changes.
- ends –
Marketing and Communications Manager