General Community Updates
Council will continue to stay up-to-date with Federal Government advice, in addition to NSW Government and NSW Health requirements and Public Health Orders. Necessary changes will continue to be implemented at the range of service locations and facilities that Council operates.
Current COVID-19 restrictions can be found by visiting the NSW Government website.
Public Notice - Wednesday, 6 January 2021
There has been a recent NSW Health alert for COVID in Western NSW, this has affected a contractor working within Council’s administration office who was at a restaurant listed in the alert and the location and the time deems this as a close contact. This person has returned a negative test and will continue to isolate for the 14 days as well as undertake further testing at the direction of NSW Health.
You can find more information about this alert and other news on the NSW Health website:
Council have consulted NSW Health, Public Health, LGNSW and SafeWork NSW and have received the advice that it is a low risk, however please know that we are taking precautionary measures.
Council facilities have social distancing and hygiene measures in place, including limits on customer numbers where stated. Strict social distancing and hygiene arrangements are in place to ensure health and safety of staff and customers. Customers are asked to not visit the various services and buildings if they are unwell.
Administration Building, Warren Road
The building is open to the public with a limit of 2 customers in the service area permitted at any one time. Customer requests can still be received by phone or online.
Service NSW, Miller Street
Service NSW remains open to the public. Please observe conditions of entry signage in place.
Cooee Lodge and Jack Towney Hostels
Cooee Lodge and Jack Towney Hostels are following advice from NSW Health regarding visitors to the aged care facilities with up to date details available here.
Both Cooee Lodge and Jack Towney Hostels are currently open to visitors from regional NSW only, with no visitors permitted from Greater Sydney region until at least 11.59pm Wednesday, 6 January 2021.
Staff and visitors who fall into the following categories are also currently excluded from being able to visit:
- have been in any of the latest COVID-19 locations in NSW at the times and dates listed, except where noted otherwise on the web page
- have travelled on any of the public transport routes at the times and dates listed
- have a fever (37.5°C or higher) or symptoms of COVID-19 (acute blocked nose congestion has been added to the list of symptoms)
- are a close contact of a person with confirmed COVID-19 and are within their self-isolation period
- live in a household with a person who is identified as a close contact of a person with confirmed COVID-19
Visitors and staff in the facilities are currently required to wear masks.
Please call Cooee Lodge on 6817 8744 or Jack Towney Hostel on 6817 8777 with any enquiries.
Coo-ee Heritage Centre (CHC), Visitor Information Centre and toilet facilities
The CHC and toilets are closed to the public, with centre upgrades commencing in the coming months.
You can find Visitor Information @ the GIL, 30-32 Miller Street, which is in close proximity to public toilets and parking areas for caravans. Opening hours are 9am-4pm, Monday to Friday and 9am-12pm on Saturday.
Gilgandra Fitness Centre
The Gilgandra Fitness Centre is now open with up to date details available for classes here.
Current opening hours are:
Monday - Thursday: 1pm-7pm
Gilgandra Housing and Homelessness
Housing and Homelessness needs are by appointment only - please call 6817 8798 or email email@example.com
Gilgandra Shire Library
The Library is now open to the public, please find specific details on services available at https://www.gilgandra.nsw.gov.au/Enjoy/Gilgandra-Library
Current opening hours are: Monday- Friday 10am-12:30pm and 1:30pm-5:00pm
Social distancing measures are in place to ensure requirements are met and include the following:
- Limit of 15 visitors at a time to browse and borrow.
- Use of the Click and Collect service remains available. The collection point is still operating from the verandah, with a delivery service available for housebound persons.
- 3 computers available for public use. WIFI continues to be available.
- Programs will slowly be reintroduced, with very limited numbers due to space. LEGO Club and Code Club activities are again getting underway, with details available through our Events page.
Users are asked to view the Conditions of Entry displayed on the door before entering.
Library staff are available to answer your questions on 6817 8877 or email firstname.lastname@example.org .
Gilgandra Waste Facility
The Facility is open for waste disposal, including the Op Shop. Access is limited to 2 people at a time in the Op Shop, with children not currently permitted in this space.
Gilgandra Youth Services
Breakfast Club is open to all school aged children from 8am, Monday to Friday during the school term. Free pick up service is available on request. Students are provided the opportunity to walk to school safely under the supervision of Gilgandra Youth Services staff and volunteers.
For more information on the Breakfast Club or Youth Club services and activities, please call 6817 8798, email email@example.com
Meals on Wheels and Community Transport
These services are now welcoming volunteers back onto the roster! If you are interested in volunteering with Council for the first time, please access further information here.
If clients have any enquiries please call 6817 8750.
Orana Living clients are now back enjoying their usual duties at the Waste Facility, with social distancing measures in place.
Visitors are welcomed into the client accommodation to see their loved ones, and are asked to follow directions of staff while on site.
Please call 6817 8600 to speak with Orana Living staff.
All public parks in the Gilgandra Shire are now open. The community is reminded to observe social distancing requirements when using these public spaces.
Hunter Park and Miller Street CBD public toilets are open.
the GIL has opened it's doors at 30-32 Miller Street!
Home to many activities and services in the heart of Gilgandra including:
- Visitor Information @ the GIL where you will find out how to enjoy all the Gilgandra Region has to offer.
- The GIL Collective showcasing our region’s artists, makers and businesses.
- Hot desks, free WIFI, baby change and family friendly areas.
- The Mill @ the GIL is a small space available to hire - keep an eye on Council's events page for details of what's coming up.
Opening hours: 9am – 4pm, Monday – Friday and 9am – 12pm Saturday.
You can also continue to purchase the GIL Collective items through Facebook @theGILcollective.
For further details or to speak with someone at the GIL please call 6817 8700